The Orrery Society network of volunteers serve as ambassadors on behalf of the Penn Libraries and this giving society, which was established to recognize those who support the Libraries at a leadership level. Named after the David Rittenhouse Orrery, which has its home in the Special Collections Center of the Penn Libraries, the Orrery Society recognizes and engages supporters who make significant contributions to the Libraries' digital and print collections. Volunteers partner with like-minded supporters of information in raising awareness of Libraries’ indispensable nature for scholarship at Penn and work to promote this message throughout their communities.
The Orrery Society volunteer structure consists of an Honorary Co-Chair, two Co-Chairs and the Orrery Society Council. Co-Chairs are appointed by the Penn Libraries Development staff.
Individuals interested in volunteering on behalf of the Orrery Society can become members of the Orrery Society Council. Members of the Council serve as the Penn Libraries’ key ambassadors for collection development by being able to clearly articulate the importance of information resources to the scholarly mission of the University, and the need for support. Council Members carry the following roles and responsibilities:
• Financially support collection development at Penn Libraries through the establishment of an endowed fund at the $25K level or above for information acquisition, digitization or conservation.
• Review lists of alumni and friends to help identify prospective Orrery Society members, help set-up small group gatherings or luncheons, and make at least two individual introductions per year to Libraries’ Development staff.
• Participate in the planning and implementation of outreach events by contributing ideas for content, identifying venues, and encouraging attendance. When possible host such events.
• Participate in quarterly Orrery Society Leadership meetings via conference call and/or in person.
• Attend the Orrery Society Annual Gathering on campus.
• Engage with the priorities and issues related to collection development at the Penn Libraries, including participation in an orientation session and briefings led by the Director of Collection Development.
Council members are asked to serve for a two year term, with an opportunity to renew their commitment at the end of said term.
Orrery Society Volunteer Leadership
Margy Ellin Meyerson, G'93, Honorary Chair
Scott J. Glosserman, C’99, Co-Chair
Rohit Singh, C'02, W'02, Co-Chair
Orrery Society Council
James Blank, C'88
Sandra Choi Brigode, WG’99
Jason D. Busch, C'97, G'97
Elizabeth Hitchcock, GAR'92
Jon Jachman, W'99
Andrew P. Kowell, C’01
Masha Kowell, G’07 GR’13
Ryan T. Ly, C’03
Matthew J. Mezvinsky, W’03
Katherine Lee Montrone, W’89
Mark D. Rosenbaum, W’95
Jenna Bertocchi Stapleton, C’96
Mina Wattenberg, C'94
Richard Westreich, C'95
Stacy Westreich, C'97