In 1951 a bequest by Ella E. Ames established an endowed Library Fund in memory of her brother, Dr. Herman V. Ames, Professor of American Constitutional History.
The fund supports the acquisition of materials in American History, or American and European History as desired by the Department of History. The Ames Fund is critical in making possible to Penn scholars new materials in this field.
Materials purchased through this fund include:
- Archives of human sexuality and identity [electronic resource] : LGBTQ history and culture since 1940.
- Fannie Lou Hamer [electronic resource] : papers of a civil rights activist, political activist, and woman.
- Grassroots civil rights & social activism [electronic resource] : FBI files on Benjamin J. Davis, Jr.
- Black nationalism and the Revolutionary Action Movement [electronic resource] : the papers of Muhammad Ahmad (Max Stanford).
- Southern Negro Youth Congress and the Communist Party [electronic resource] : papers of James and Esther Cooper Jackson.
- See additional titles purchased through this fund