Established in 1978, the fund honors Matthias A. Shaaber, Penn Ph.D. 1929, and distinguished faculty member. In addition to gifts of scholarly books on English literature, royalties from some of his publications go to this fund for the purchase of books for the Furness Shakespeare Library.
Dr. Shaaber's many scholarly publications can be found at the Penn Library.
Materials purchased through this fund include:
- Secret history of the most renown'd Q. Elizabeth and Earl of Essex
- Calendars of the ancient charters, and of the Welch and Scotish rolls, now remaining in the Tower of London : also calendars of all the treaties of peace entered into by the Kings of England with those of Scotland and of sundry letters and public instrume
- Tragedy of Thierry, King of France, and his brother Theodoret : as it was diuerse times acted at the Blacke-Friers by the Kings Maiesties seruants.
- Merchant of Venice : a comedy
- Alfred : an historical tragedy : to which is added a collection of miscellaneous poems
- See additional titles purchased through this fund