Established in 2005 through the generosity of Alan Jacobs C'67, his wife Denise PAR'09, and son Alexander C'09, this fund supports scholarly acquisitions for the Penn Libraries in the field of cinema studies.
Alan S. Jacobs, Esq. is a Senior Partner at Withers Bergman LLP, New York. As a Penn undergraduate, he was a member of Friars Senior Society and the Kite and Key Society, social chairman of the Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity and manager of Penn's varsity golf team. He has been on the Libraries' Board of Overseers since 2000, and currently serves as Chair of the Development Committee.
The University of Pennsylvania's Cinema Studies Program continues to grow rapidly and now offers both a major and a minor, and classes on cinema and using cinema are found throughout the curriculum of the School of Arts and Sciences. Funds such as this are vitally important in maintaining the depth and breadth of the Libraries' collections, serving the teaching and research needs of Penn scholars.
Materials purchased through this fund include:
- Hollywood : a very short introduction
- Los Angeles before Hollywood : journalism and American film culture, 1905 to 1915
- Fade from Red : the cold war ex-enemy in Russian and American film 1990-2005
- Mythologizing the Vietnam War : visual culture and mediated memory
- From magic lantern to movies [electronic resource] : the Optical magic lantern journal 1889-1903
- Digital disruption : cinema moves on-line
- See additional titles purchased through this fund